Sunday, April 6, 2008

Three Nights Dogged

Why does that have a slightly familiar ring to it? This is a time we'd certainly like to forget, and never repeat. For three days and nights, incessant bone pain from the Neupogen injections dogged Jordan's every waking hour. He's tried just about everything we could think of - to sleep more than usual, keep up on the pain meds, use a heating pad, warm water soaks, massage, shifting positions, staying off his feet, distracting himself with a movie, and a phone call from a friend. Patient, quiet, kind throughout, still, nothing worked. He was readmitted to the hospital this morning, where the morphine flows freely, and the pain is at last under control.

WBC's inched up to .5; neuts are at .4. Platelets all the way up to 48K on Saturday, slipped to 35K today. We hoped he might either begin some kind of modified treatment tomorrow, or return home. A fever of 101.9 showed up this evening though, nixing any hope of coming home tomorrow. When the doc makes his early morning rounds, we should be able to get off these pins and needles and find out the results of the bone marrow biopsy, and if treatment will indeed begin, or be withheld.

3 comments:

Elaine said...

I don't know what to say. I know that anything anyone does say is meant to uplift and encourage and share their love, and it does do all that, but it still remains so difficult.
Jordan, we love you! We pray for you! We know that the Lord loves you and He is blessing you. May you find some peace among your many suffering and trials! Our prayers are with you. I know there is strength in that. PS, I love the bald look on you, and that smile I so remember from years past is what I envision each time I think of you. What a great and special young man you are. Keep smiling!
Brianna, I wish I knew you personally, but I know enough that you are a special young lady. I know that the Lord loves you too, and He is always there to lift and encourage and comfort us. I count on this daily. Our prayers include a special note for you.
Bonnie and Dan, what awesome parents Jordan has. As I read the blog I see that you give so much love and support. In many ways, that is as helpful as what the doctors give. The doctors cannot give what you give. I know that it is helping Jordan and Brianna. They are better because of you. They need you and you are not letting them down. In the same respect, our Savior will not let you down. The love and help and support you give to Jordan and Brianna even touches my heart, and I thank you for that.
We love you all!

Anonymous said...

Jordan and family, I have heard that bone pain is the worst type of pain. I hope they keep the pain under control. --Barb

Julie said...

Our prayers and love are with you all JulieB and family